Philosophy and Ethos
Holmwood School and Nursery actively promotes a warm, caring community where everyone is valued and recognised and the welfare and well-being of the children is paramount. We foster the qualities of truth, tolerance, freedom and peace and encourage sound relationships founded on respect and courtesy for one another.
In order to establish a positive learning environment the following principles are adhered to:
- The provision of a happy, secure and relaxed atmosphere where children will feel safe and comfortable and valued members of society.
- Good relationships developed between children, adults and their peers with an awareness of the rights and opinions of others.
- Children are encouraged to be independent and are taught to take responsibility for their own property, and that of others.
- Children are clear about acceptable standards of conduct and behaviour.
- Children’s respect for moral values and a tolerance and understanding of traditions and cultures which are different from their own.
- Children are encouraged to have a responsive, caring and outward looking attitude towards the community.
- The staff of the school works in close co-operation to carry out the philosophy of the school, contributing to policy making and sharing the responsibility for its implementation.
- Close liaison developed between the school, its governors, parents and other agencies within the community to ensure understanding and progression at every level.
We aim to provide:
- A challenging curriculum which is fully matched to the needs of the children and relevant to the ‘real world’ and responsive to change.
- Learning processes which reflect a wide range of experiences and provide for independence of thought and action, developing every child’s potential academically, socially and emotionally.
- Opportunities for children to experience success and satisfaction and be motivated to learn through the recognition of positive achievement and promotion of self-esteem.